Clinical Informatics Strategist
Location: Chicagoland Compensation: Contract to Hire
The Clinical Informatics Strategist (CIS) acts as a liaison between Information Services and all Clinical areas to facilitate design and functionality of the EMR system. The CIS is responsible for supporting successful electronic medical record (EMR) design and implementation and for making improvements in the design and clinical use of the EMR and process flows surrounding the EMR.
This position is part of the Clinical Informatics team, and works in close partnership with operations leaders, clinical leaders, and the Information Systems EMR team to coordinate successful implementation, system optimization, and improvements to the use of EMR. This position has no direct reports or fiscal responsibility. The CIS is expected to work at all facilities to support all projects related to the EMR.
- The CIS works collaboratively with users of clinical information systems.
- Responsible for all aspects of planning, design, development, implementation, maintenance and evaluation of the clinical information systems for clinical departments.
- Errors related to poor design of clinical documentation may present a patient safety issue and ineffective delivery of patient care.
- Utilizes knowledge and skills of nursing practice to determine clinical functions that are suitable for computer applications and to ensure that clinical information systems are consistent with professional standards of clinical practice.
- Analyzes current and future end-user department requirements, procedures, and workflow, in order to provide application solutions that support and improve organization, division, and/or department operations.
- Provides systems analysis and design; development of database structures and data organization; applications testing and evaluation; project management skills; use of computer programming tools and utilities.
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with end user departments to ensure optimal utilization of the Hospital’s clinical applications, while providing appropriate levels of end user training and education.
- The CIS provides first line support for facility users of clinical applications and workflow changes.
- Coordinates staff education of Clinical Information systems.
- Collaborates with end-users to help define health care information problems and identifying solutions.
- Participates in facility wide process improvement teams related to clinical information systems.
- Is an innovative thinker and contributes ideas for making the program better and easier to use.
- Attends status & client meetings when required.
- Interacts with Internal-Clinical Subject Matter Experts, Managers, Supervisors, Directors, Staff clinicians and IS Analysts.
- Works with confidential patient information.
- Contributes to successful oversight and project management of EMR projects from an operations perspective.
- Develops and monitors standard procedures and process flows related to use of the EMR.
- Develops, and delivers EMR training and coaching post implementation (i.e. following the IS training) to maximize effective use of the EMR by nurses, physicians and associates.
- Follows-through on issues and improvements in the EMR system, interfaces between EMR and other systems, and related process flows.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution, in Nursing, required
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Informatics, Nursing Informatics, or Healthcare Informatics, preferred
- Nursing Licensure, required
- Minimum 5-7 years prior experience in a clinical capacity including experience with EMR implementation and or design, required
- Experience with Cerner EMR, preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills: necessary for interfacing with internal clients and IT staff, required
- Analytical skills, problem solving skills: ability to analyze client applications and to identify best build options, required
- Strong project management skills: previous experience and demonstrated success in project management, required
- Demonstrates sensitivity and respect in caring for patients and in dealing with clients of diverse backgrounds
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to present information in group meetings
- Conflict management skills
- Strong decision making skills
- Flexibility and adaptability in performing work duties
- Knowledge of the software programs: EMR systems (required), familiar with Cerner EMR (preferred), proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and LCD projector operation (required)
- Must be able and willing to travel to all facilities, must be able to work various shifts to support conversions.
- A work style that is extremely detail oriented
- Resourceful and strong problem solver, able to work independently
- Strong communication skills and general understanding of the underlying business
- S. Citizen or permanent resident only
Physical and Environmental Demands
This position is functioning within a healthcare environment. The incumbent is responsible for adherence to all hospital and department specific safety requirements. This includes but is not limited to the following policies and practices; following PPE requirements, hand washing and sanitizing practices, following department specific engineering and work practice controls and any other work area safety precautions as specified by hospital wide policy and departmental procedure.
|Hospital, office, clinic, ER|
|Computer, projector, phone|
|standing, walking, lifting, working various shifts, travel to different facilities|
About Think Tank IT, Inc.
We are a team of elite, healthcare consultants specializing exclusively on the needs of Health Systems that have chosen Cerner Millennium®.
Think Tank IT, Inc. is financially independent.
We are the team for you if
- you are an expert on Cerner Millennium®.
- want to be creatively working on a dedicated “hands-on” basis with one customer.
- you like to be trusted to work independently, utilizing excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- earn excellent compensation.
Contact us at