Position Name: Clinical Informatics Trainer
Location: Chicagoland Compensation: Contract to Hire
The Clinical Informatics Trainer (CIT) prepares and delivers effective learning solutions for clinical end users (nurses, unit clerks, nursing assistants, ancillary clinicians and physicians) on subjects related to the Electronic Medical Record
(EMR) system. Training delivery methods include classroom and unit based instruction, eLearning, web based training and one to one coaching sessions.
This position provides learning services to all clinical areas throughout hospital affiliates and clinics. The CIT works with all end users to improve functionality, introduce new programs, and conduct orientation for new EMR users. This position has no direct reports, is responsible for the training budget and is expected to work at all facilities to support all related projects.
- Partners with members of the Clinical Operations team, Clinical Informatics staff, and IS personnel to assess the learning needs and develop appropriate learning opportunities to improve utilization and effectiveness of the EMR system.
- Partners with Clinical Informatics and IS on workflow analysis, redesign and understanding of end user processes at early stages of project development.
- Develops training materials including tools such as course manuals, eLearning, webcasts, updates and competency assessments appropriate for clinical learning needs.
- Analyzes and selects best training method(s) based upon audience, desired change, complexity of material and desired outcomes.
- Delivers training to the end users in a classroom or unit environment, or by eLearning, web based training, or one to one coaching sessions. Inadequate training of the content may lead to inadequate documentation or poor use of the EMR system throughout.
- Develops and maintains training resources including handouts, participant guides, eLearning, webcast and other learning resources as needed. Updates based on feedback, workflow changes and system changes.
- Participates in unit and integrated testing including updating of test scripts as needed.
- Works with IS to ensure that the training domain is functioning correctly.
- Ensures build is correctly incorporated into all training environments.
- Develops competencies and assessments to ensure desired actions and functionality are demonstrated. Updates based on feedback, workflow changes and system changes.
- Successfully completes Trainer Curriculum, including courses in training delivery, Instructional Design, training templates, eLearning and Webcasting, and is able to apply knowledge to meet training standards.
- Creates and maintains procedural guidelines for EMR workflows on respective applications. Ensures procedures match training materials and actual processes/workflows.
- Works toward certification requirements as directed by System Director of Clinical Informatics.
- Is an Innovative thinker and contributes ideas for making the program better and easier to use.
- Attend status & client meetings when required.
- Independently manages training elements for projects.
- Interacts with Internal-Clinical Subject Matter Experts, Managers, Supervisors, Directors, Staff clinicians, IS Analysts.
- Must maintain confidentiality of patient medical information and fiscal information.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution, in Nursing, required
- Coursework in Clinical Informatics, preferred
- Nursing Licensure, required
- Minimum 3-5 years clinical experience as a nurse, required
- Prior experience in clinical capacity in a hospital, medical office or ambulatory care facility, required
- Prior experience with clinical informatics, required
- Prior experience conducting EMR training on the unit or in a classroom, preferred
- Strong computer acumen, preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for developing training programs and presentations, required
- Knowledge of these software programs: Cerner EMR, proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, required. LCD projector operation is also required.
- Working knowledge of clinical terminology and hospital or medical office operations, required
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrates sensitivity and respect in caring for patients and in dealing with clients of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to build relationships with staff and to understand their applications
- Analytical skills, problem solving skills
- Strong decision making skills
- Flexibility and adaptability in performing work duties
- A work style that is extremely detail oriented
- Resourceful and strong problem solver, able to work independently
- Strong communication skills and general understanding of the underlying business
- S. Citizen or permanent resident only
Physical and Environmental Demands
This position is functioning within a healthcare environment. The incumbent is responsible for adherence to all hospital and department specific safety requirements. This includes but is not limited to the following policies and practices; following PPE requirements, hand washing and sanitizing practices, following department specific engineering and work practice controls and any other work area safety precautions as specified by hospital wide policy and departmental procedure.
hospital, office, clinic, ER,
Computer and projector
|standing, walking, lifting, working various shifts, travel to multiple sites|
About Think Tank IT, Inc.
We are a team of elite, healthcare consultants specializing exclusively on the needs of Health Systems that have chosen Cerner Millennium®.
Think Tank IT, Inc. is financially independent.
We are the team for you if
- you are an expert on Cerner Millennium®.
- want to be creatively working on a dedicated “hands-on” basis with one customer.
- you like to be trusted to work independently, utilizing excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- earn excellent compensation.
Contact us at